The City of West Hollywood is offering free sand-filled sandbags to West Hollywood residents and businesses as heavy rains fall throughout Southern California to redirect flowing water away from structures.
Free sandbags are limited to 10 per resident or business. They are available for pick-up by appointment at the City of West Hollywood’s Operations Center, located at 7317 Romaine Street. Residents and business owners must call (323) 848-6591 to schedule an appointment to pick up sandbags on weekdays from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Please note, there are no weekend pick-ups scheduled at this time and sandbags are available only while supplies last. Sandbag pick-up may be extended into early next week if weather requires and supplies are available.
West Hollywood reminds residents that during heavy rains stay prepared by following these steps:
- Keep emergency supplies, such as a flashlight, water, food, a first-aid kit, portable radio, and extra batteries on-hand and easily accessible.
- Clear all drains and rain gutters on your property and dispose of all trash and yard trimmings properly to avoid blocking drains.
- Know how to turn off utilities.
- Monitor forecasts to be aware of weather that may impact the area.
- Subscribe to receive Alert LA County emergency notifications
As a reminder, driving in rain, whether a drizzle or a heavy downpour, can be dangerous. Rainy conditions are directly associated with higher accident rates. Adjust your driving style for wet roads and reduced visibility. The following tips will help ensure driving safely during rainy days: slow down; turn on headlights; use windshield wipers; maintain a safe distance; avoid heavy braking; watch for standing water; let off the accelerator when hydroplaning; and ventilate your car during rain.
More than 40 percent of West Hollywood’s residents identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender. West Hollywood is also home to a thriving community of nearly 4,000 people — this represents approximately 11 percent of the City’s population.
West Hollywood is also home to around 30 gay bars and clubs, more than 25 gay shops and over 60 gay friendlt restaurants and hotels.