Joe Biden’s launch of “As You Are: A Family and Community Acceptance Campaign” on Tuesday gives the LGBTQ+ youth and families much needed visibility.
The goal of the campaign is to collect stories from the community to use ad educational tools “with the hope that they will serve to inspire, to create communities, to heal families…” a press release stated.
The campaign website says that stories have the ability to “drive nationwide progress,” but that the U.S. still has a way to go regarding employment, housing and public accommodations. LGBTQ+ youth in particular deal with daily discrimination and harassment.
“I’m so proud to announce the Biden Foundation has launched this campaign,” Biden said in the the press release. “We’ll use our resources to highlight the harms of family … [and] powerfully show the significant value of family acceptance.”
Biden and the YMCA made a three-year partnership to pursue LLGBTQ+ equality. The campaign website lists the first year’s goals as such:
- Identify and understand the needs of local LGBTQ community members.
- Assess facilities and policies to ensure they welcome LGBTQ individuals
- Collaborate with local businesses, community leaders and LGBTQ-serving organizations.
- Train leaders to foster a culture of support, connection, and inclusivity.
- Strengthen capacity to serve LGBTQ members through innovative programming.
- Demonstrate to LGBTQ people and families that the Y is a safe and welcoming space for all.
“LGBTQ young people should never have to face rejection from those who love them,” he said in a tweet.