Matthew McGrath, a five-year resident of West Hollywood, spent two weeks in the hospital and underwent multiple surgeries after he was attacked in the early hours of Nov. 15.
After a night out with friends at The Abbey Food & Bar McGrath was walking home along San Vicente Blvd when he heard “some slurs, some profanity.”
“I’m not exactly clear on what, but sort of a few minutes later, I just felt a really blunt force to my head, blacked out and was knocked unconscious,” McGrath said.
McGrath awoke alone, with his wallet and cell phone missing. The next day, he went to the hospital for scans.
McGrath, who suffered a fractured jaw, spent two weeks in the hospital due to injuries that doctors told him were caused by a blunt object.
McGrath filed a police report two days after the attack, but he hasn’t heard much from the West Hollywood Sheriff’s Station since.
The night after McGrath was assaulted, a person was beaten and stabbed on Santa Monica Boulevard. David Cook, 44, was arrested for that stabbing last month.
Two similar attacks involving a different man using a baseball bat and a boxcutter on Nov. 18 resulted in another arrest last month, according to the WeHo Times.
A GoFundMe page has been created to help McGrath. It has raised over $34,000 out of its $75,000 goal since being launched.