Christmas is just around the corner and yet, you’re still searching for more holiday cheer? Flip on Lifetime or Hallmark and its a sea disappointing heteronormativity and expected cliches. What’s a festive gay to do?! We’ve got you covered. Here are some fun holiday-themed viewing materiel to view at your leisure.
1. Season of Love (Tello Films) – This movie follows tight-knit group of queer-identifying women navigating adventures of love, life and friendship during the holiday season. Essentially, it is a funny Holiday RomCom in the truest for – plus the aded bonus of lesbian plot lines.
“It centers the lives of Queer Women in a way that we rarely see; their dreams, successes, mishaps, friendships, and romances. It does this without falling into the many tropes that I am tired of being the limited lens through which our community is portrayed,” actress Jessica Clark said in an interview. “We’re just as funny, ambitious, messy, loving and silly as anyone else… duh.”
2. Let It Snow (Netflix) – What is essentially a quintessential holiday movie, but with a lesbian twist! A snowstorm hits a small town on Christmas Eve, affecting lives and futures of several high school students.
3. Merrily Happily Whatever (Netflix) – This sitcom is the campy, laugh-track-using-binge-all-weekend you need. Plus, in Episode 3, a character comes out as a lesbian on Christmas Day and everything is fine. What a gift!
4. Wynonna Earp (SyFy) – For those in the “Wynonna Earp” fandom, we already know and love the queerness innate to this show. As a special gift to us, the Christmas Episode in Season 3 is both incredibly sweep and very dramatic – as all good Christmas fodder should be. And of course, all the cute lesbian holiday cuteness between Waverly and Nicole makes our hearts swoon.
5. The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (Netflix) – A Trans holiday story complete with magic and horror, this is one holiday episode you do not want to miss. Christmas magic allows Susie to dress as an elf to present as Mal and explore the male gender.